Shy was at Baguio Village Inn

Shy was at Baguio Village Inn
Warm, Quaint and Homey Room for only P350! :)

Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Filled Under: , , ,

How a Rubber band Could Save Me.

Share

"Don't get too excited! No rubber won't suck your negative vibes.  If that holds true, then I should consider adding spandex in my wardrobe." 


The sun was shining brightly as I stepped out of the plane.  What an awesome day.  It's funny how not long ago, the news reporter announced that it was raining here in Manila for days on end.  Nonstop.  There was flooding in most parts of the city.  Water rose up to the knee, at some places, it had gone up to the second floor of several houses.  A familiar sight.  We've seen worse though.  But yes, there was a flood and,   casualties too.  But today, Mr. sun decided to show up on my day of arrival. I want to believe that it was God's on way of telling me, "Welcome!".

And I sure did feel like so.  

Hello Manila!

With my brother's big black backpack hanging at my back and a silvery paper bag on hand, I walked my way towards the airport's lobby.  As I was already nearing, I was envisioning my younger brother and my sister's boyfriend to be waiting closely for me.  And their faces would lighten up at the sight of me, overjoyed and would wave vigorously, with glaring eyes, nose, bright open smile, everything good, and I would do the same --That thought made me smile.  When I got near the lobby, I saw no familiar faces.  My heart sank a bit.  When I went around the lobby, I saw no one I knew.  Seemed to me that they haven't arrived yet. I called them, and was informed that they were already reaching the airport. I was right.  So I secured myself a seat at the edge of the airport and settled down. Then not too long, I got a call from my sister, they were already in the airport.    Next thing I knew, she was already giving me directions--  take the elevator to go up the 3rd floor  near the food court and go to gate 8 where they were standing.  So I had to carry the 5-kilo backpack and a 2 kilo paper bag all by myself. Again.  Oh well, at least I got myself some exercise.  Yeah but I must say that it did upset me a bit.  I brought fruits from Davao and this is how you welcome me? Tsk, tsk tsk.  Spank you now!

So much for expectations.  What would be a world without expectations?  I guess a happier one.  But is it at all part of being human?  Maybe.  And whenever these aren't met, we get hurt, sad and disappointed.  Good news though is that we have the power to alter how we think, how we perceive things, in a way that is less detrimental and hurtful to us.  And it takes mind exercise to hone this mind muscles, much like how you strengthen your biceps while you lift weights.  It takes a certain kind of discipline, focus, and drive to get this mind control work for you and with you.  And once you conquer it?  All possibilities are endless.

I've read one quote saying if you conquer your mind, you conquer the world.  I can only imagine the power that I could get once I master it.  It does take work and dedication to do it day after day after day.

And since I "sometimes" (cough cough) lack that, I need a rubber band.

Yes, you heard me right.  A normal everyday rubber band, which you would be wearing around your wrist just like you do a bolster.  Don't get too excited! No rubber won't suck your negative vibes.  If that holds true, then I should consider adding spandex in my wardrobe.  Whenever the mind focuses on a negative thought, you snap the rubber band, thereby producing pain on your wrist.  Sounds masuchistic? Well maybe a tad.  However, it's actually you trying to consciously regulate the emotions, consistently impose on yourself that focusing on bad thoughts, is bad thereby you inflict pain on yourself, and focusing on the good side, is good, so you get to save yourself from the rubber snap. Simple as that.

But yeah, really? Seriously? Punish yourself by snapping yourself with a rubber band.  Yeah right, like that would kill you.  But let's face it. That wouldn't be published if it didn't work for some people.  Right?

However it may sound too forced and unnatural, at times it's needed. There are instances that I couldn't help but let myself sink in in that dark painful state.  And without any visual reminder to help me stop it, it would likely be a slow descent to the bottom of the pit. Odd as it may sound, but sometimes I like being in that state.  A part of me is pleased that I am feeling distress.  Is it me trying to balance out the hyper-ness and fun-ness (if there were such words, which I guess not, as suggested by the crooked red lines on both words), because I'm just like so, like most of the time on a normal day? Or is it me just poking fun on my already distressed self? Seriously, one time, I burst out in tears while I was trying to grab the hamper.  This was a few months after break up.  And I faintly heard myself saying... "and the best actress goes to...".  And ever since that moment, I questioned myself if I was really sad about the break up or was it because this is just my epic drama queen moment right here.  Looking back at it now, I feel really silly.  My reaction was really more of me, than what my ex really did.  Odd phase.  Really odd one.  That's why I need something to snap my way out of that.  Get myself a serious multiple sets of rubber snapping.  Take a bow and get my best actress trophy, leave home with lessons and knowledge.  Go to bed, and wake up pretty again.

So yeah, we need Mr. Rubber band, well at least I do.

What do you do to stay positive?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mabuhay! Welcome to Manila!

Shy said...

@Jakeson: hahaha salamat! :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear what happens next in you adventures back home. Maybe you better buy a supply of rubber bands.

Shy said...

@bakinginatornado: oh thanks! really appreciate it! I'll update this blog as soon as I have adventures and misadventures! hahaha. :)
oh and with the rubber bands? hmm, I sure am considering that! :P

Powered by Blogger.

Enlist yourself to get a BUNCH of Travel Printables! :)

* indicates required