Shy was at Baguio Village Inn

Shy was at Baguio Village Inn
Warm, Quaint and Homey Room for only P350! :)

Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

Filled Under: ,

My Afghan Girl

Share

Just when I almost about to give up on her...




She looked at me.

The Story:

I've always been a fan of National Geographic.  When I was a kid, we used to have cable and during those times, I find myself tuned in to that particular channel for plenty of hours.  That is why I have come to know about the Afghan Girl.  That girl, isn't a girl anymore.  I saw a special documentary wherein staff of Nat Geo were in hot pursuit for this "girl" in the picture.  So they found her, she's a woman now in her 50's.  Yet she still has the same intense stare. That pair of eyes which witnessed atrocities, hatred, blood and suffering.  
Those eyes, that showed it all.

So I was eager to sketch her and those great eyes.  While I was trying to do so, I was faced with a big stumbling block:  Her eyes won't look at me. She was always staring at the left and not me.  Although everything looks well, but her eyes weren't just right.  And I knew that the intensity wouldn't be captured if those glistening eyes wouldn't look in front.  My purpose of sketching her would be in vain.  There was absolutely no way, I couldn't really post this.  It was just unacceptable.  So I erased her eyes several times, drew it again and again, assessing, and scanning repeatedly.  Still, those eyes weren't seeing mine.  So I whispered a number of times,and almost frustratingly: "Look at me. Look at me. Look at me."  Then I thought, what if she did. Almost immediately, with piercing stare and all.  That would be scary! So I end up saying, ok, ok don't look at me!(HAHAHA)

This happened 2-3 times.  It was pathetic, borderline crazy.

And so finally I figured out what the problem was.  I moved her left eye 1cm. to the right.  Lo and behold! 

She looked at me.


15 comments:

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

Absolutely beautiful, you are really good at this. It looks exactly like the real face.

Shy said...

@Rum-Punch Drunk:awww thanks much! I really appreciate the compliment! ^^

Mani Kumar said...

Beautiful is the word. :)

Shy said...

@Mani: So kind of you Mani. Thanks a lot for visiting my site and leaving a comment. Hmmm, I read your blog. It seems that you fall in love a LOT of times! Good for you! :) Keep the love burning alive man! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice one! =)

Shy said...

@Jakeson: Thanks mahn! ^^

JerseyLil said...

What a wonderful sketch and photo! Fabulous likeness, you are a talented artist!!

Wonderlander said...

nice work :) looks very similar :)

Shy said...

@Jerseylil: thank you so much! :)

Shy said...

@Magda: Thanks so much for the comment! I appreciate it! ^^

Belle said...

definitely you are an artist... two thumbs up for your piece...

Shy said...

@Sim: Awww.. thank you. This one took me awhile to get it right... for some weird reason she wouldn't look at me... but then all I needed was to shift her left eye 1 cm to the right. Yep! ganun ka kadugo! :) thanks for the compliment. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Lovely drawing!

Shy said...

@chrismarke: Thanks Chris!:)

Powered by Blogger.

Enlist yourself to get a BUNCH of Travel Printables! :)

* indicates required