Shy was at Baguio Village Inn

Shy was at Baguio Village Inn
Warm, Quaint and Homey Room for only P350! :)

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Filled Under: , , , , , ,

Backpacking in Boljoon, Cebu

Share

Less than 30 minutes away from Oslob, Boljoon is one destination every tourist going out to watch the whale shouldn't just pass by on.   Not when it's just near and not when it's as beautiful and enigmatic as Boljoon.

I was attracted to this place as I've personally seen it being featured on tv.  There happened to be some archaeological artifacts discovered there that were dated way back then and some archaeology students were digging and studying it.   So our curiosity to check the place ourselves and see the developments on the study made us to decide to stay there for the night.  After bathing with the whales and in the falls nearby we had our lunch in the resort and took a bus going to Cebu, to be dropped at Boljoon.  We got down fronting the church and walked our way down the street and checked in the first room for rent we saw.  We took it for just P850, all complete with a bathroom, a veranda outside overlooking the sea and free coffee.  A great deal indeed!

Only when we checked out and took a second look at the trampoline did we realize that the room was supposed to be only P599.  But we let it slip since Lola probably haven't had many customers coming in.  Heck we could probably be the first by the looks of the tiled flooring in the toilet.  Nevertheless, lola took care of us while we were there so that had made up for that.



By the time we had our rest and had settled down, we shortly headed straight to the church which was just 2 minutes away!  I was particularly more interested on the archaeological works said to be happening in that place, but since that news was something I've heard years back, we didn't found any.  They've probably wrapped things up years ago.  I've asked some locals about this and had to translate it in bisaya which was a pain.  How can you explain archaeological studies in bisaya?  I gave up on that, and just make the most of what this quaint town has to offer.  So although my judgement fail me, I was glad that this place didn't.  It gave me a feeling reminiscent of Vigan.  The old school vibe, not-so much touched by development.  The air was just raw and rustic, that I can't help myself but to breath it in as much as I can.  I haven't really taken much photos than usual because I wanted to take everything in.  I knew this place is special.

And I can't seem to feel a bit sad as I watched buses after buses just passing by this town.  Not seeing a tourist going down to check it.   There were only 2 tourists I've seen, checking out the church.  I just feel like while the church is grand, there's still a lot in Boljoon to be offered.  And we were lucky to have stayed there for the night to experienced just that.



The morning after we went straight to Church to participate in the early morning mass, and what struck me as I entered the church was there were a number of birds/bats flying to and fro underneath the wooden arched ceiling of the church; The ceiling being old and punched with holes at random places have really great murals.  All of it was just breathtaking for me.  Where in the world can you see a sight like this?  Seated at the beaches near the altar were old women wearing a white linen cloth, which is a practice of women attending church back then.  Looking at them, I wonder how many years have they've been doing this?  Attending church this early and praying with their white linen cloth atop their heads.  Maybe they've been doing this since they were small, and until now the habit of putting on that linen cloth still didn't leave them in this modern age.   It was some practice that I doubt would be pass on to the next generation, so it was truly a feat for the eyes.  I felt transported back in their time.  Their stubbornness of letting go of this practice and continuing on doing it until now, made whoever seeing them transport back to their era.  I got transported back to their time.  And overwhelmed I just kept silent witnessing this age old practice taking place.  I decided to settle at the bench at the back so as not to disturb the mass that was already going on. When the mass ended I silently made my way near the altar so I can be nearer the church women.  Gave a smile as I walk passed some of them.  I also really wanted to be under the swarm of birds or bats that were flying frantically above.  It felt surreal and legit to me.  Now this is what I call a well preserved church .  An old church that had stood tall and strong amidst the forces of time and nature.   I was there and I was happy to be so.



After the mass was over, the priest started to turn off the lights and closed the doors, which signaled for us to move out already.  We walked our way to a big door at the side, but truly if they're not going to close down so early, we would've stayed there all morning.   I guess that's how they are able to preserve it, opening their doors only when there's mass, and closing in when there's none.  The door at the side led us to a small cemetery, which was bordered at the front with a brick wall with an arched entrance that has skeletons carved in, which really made it look spooky so I didn't get to take a picture of that.


So with nothing much to do, I sat down on a cement bench at a park fronting the church and watch buses pass by.  It's a shame that they don't get to see something special like this.  I felt like it has been ignored by many, hopefully it won't stay like this for long.




0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Enlist yourself to get a BUNCH of Travel Printables! :)

* indicates required