Shy was at Baguio Village Inn

Shy was at Baguio Village Inn
Warm, Quaint and Homey Room for only P350! :)

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Filled Under: , , , , , , , , , ,

How Are You Mr. Immigration Sir?

Share
Have you experienced lining up for immigration, feeling guilty as hell for no particular reason?  Well I have.  

Immigration Blues

It was my first time to go to another country and to do that I knew I had to pass through immigration. I've heard tons of stories about it- most of which were bad.  I heard that they could be very superficial, so anyone who looks like a terrorist, whore, or drug dealer could get into serious trouble.  If these guys smell something fishy, you would be interrogated, or worse, you'll be asked to go to the immigration office for more torture.

My Friend's Immigration Nightmare

A week before leaving for Malaysia, my friend who just came home from Hongkong told me her story- well more like her nightmare.  She was questioned, fried and a bit humiliated for not having the needed documents, so she had to secure everything there.  Finally the immigration let her go and let her catch her plane which was just about ready to take off.  So she ran barefooted and that was it.  The thought of that happening to me, frightened me that my focus was just to be able to secure all possible documents that might be asked of me.  It was emotionally stressful -yes.  And even after securing all those, it didn't really eliminate my stress, only consolation was that my anxiety decreased a tad bit.

My Time Has Come

Lining up for immigration in Manila was really nerve-wracking. As I was doing so for the flight going to KL, I've witnessed a couple of girls trying to explain to the immigration officer their purpose of travel .  And after a few seconds, their passports were stamped!  That fast! I figured, it wasn't really that bad. I have a complete set of documents so everything should be alright, reassuring myself with this fact every minute.  Now my turn.  I greeted the officer with a faint smile and submitted my documents to him.  After 5 seconds, he said, "now I could produce these documents if I wish to".  I felt choked.  I said, "I have some other docs too, if you would want to check here it is".  After glancing at the papers for a few seconds, he then stamped my passport.  That was it.  I was off the hook! Challenge # 1 was over.  Now, one more barricade to go: the immigration in KL.


Facing Immigration Officer in KL

Upon stepping on the grounds of KL, it felt really surreal.  Was I really in another country?  But that trail of thought ceased when the thought of immigration shot passed my brain.  Here I go again.  I found myself lining up for immigration.  This time I was joined with people from different races: koreans, americans, french, indians and a lot more.  There were a group of korean ladies in front of me.  They were dressed as if they were actresses, one girl even had a bouquet of flowers with her.  My heart started to pound really hard when 2 of these girls were asked to go to the office.  Oh gosh!

So it was my turn, I gave the officer a very heavy-hearted smile, though I greeted him as cheerful as I possibly could.  He just stared at me seriously with keen eyes, ready to detect anything fishy.  My heartbeat was like a galloping horse by now.  He said, you going to KL alone huh? whilst checking my documents and staring at me suspiciously.  Told him my reasons, and then just like that, he stamped my passport.  Only until then was I  able to breath normally.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Enlist yourself to get a BUNCH of Travel Printables! :)

* indicates required